The Mandan Park District is seeking a motivated individual to fill the position of “Assistant Golf Course Superintendent.” The Assistant Superintendent will be involved in all aspects of golf course maintenance. This position will provide a unique opportunity to help manage two separate golf courses. This entails leading the crew and making daily maintenance decisions at Mandan Municipal Golf Course, while still being involved in all aspects of maintenance at Prairie West Golf Club. The Assistant Golf Course Superintendent will be given the ability and responsibility to supervise, hire, and schedule employees while implementing the turf maintenance plan at Mandan Municipal Golf Course. At Prairie West Golf Club, the individual will work closely with the Golf Course Superintendent to supply championship conditions.
The Assistant Golf Course Superintendent will be put in a position to both lead and grow within the industry. Positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and teamwork will be attributes directly related to the success of the Mandan Park District Golf Courses.
The Mandan Park District operates two municipal golf courses. Prairie West Golf Club is an 18 hole championship course that hosts a wid
e variety of daily play and outings, in addition to prestigious state and regional golf tournaments. Mandan Municipal Golf Course is a classic track that provides recreational opportunities to golfers of all abilities.
Individuals can find the application form at www.mandanparks.com.
Please email or send application and resume t
Golf Course Superintendent
Mandan Park District
2600 46th Ave SE
Mandan, ND 58554
JOB TITLE: Assistant Golf Superintendent
JOB SUMMARY: This position reports directly to the Golf Superintendent. Under the superintendent’s supervision, the assistant directs and participates in the maintenance of all golf course features, equipment, and facilities. The Assistant Superintendent may serve in the Golf Superintendent’s capacity in the event of their absence.
Salary Range: $34,000-$38,000 annually (DOE)
Benefit Package: Comprehensive benefit package standard to Mandan Park District employees
· Oversee daily operations of Mandan Municipal Golf Course as well as assisting in the daily operations of Prairie West Golf Course.
- Assist in planning and supervising the maintenance of greens, tees, fairways, roughs, bunkers, etc...
- Assist in personnel management and evaluation, employee safety and personnel discipline.
- Schedules work (may modify the daily work schedule based on professional interpretation) and supervises the employees and their designated tasks/use of equipment.
· Assists in the programming, repair, and maintenance of irrigations systems.
· Performs or supervises the implementation of an overall turf health program. This includes aeration, topdressing, and the application of pesticides, fertilizer, & chemicals to golf course turf.
· Operates an assortment of golf course equipment, including but not limited t mowers, utility vehicles, sweepers, brooms, rollers, rakes, utility vehicles, loaders, compressors, trenchers, automobiles, etc…
· Mows golf course turf and performs daily course setup duties.
· Maintains and repairs golf course equipment.
· Trims and removes trees and brush.
· Winter snow removal and grooming of cross country ski trails.
· Performs any and all golf course and park district tasks as required by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
· Working knowledge of the maintenance of golf course tees, fairways, roughs, bunkers, and greens; seeding and maintenance practices for golf course turf; planting, cultivating, pruning, and caring for plants, shrubs and trees; characteristics and proper use of various fertilizers and soil conditioners; herbicides and pest control methods and materials
· Irrigation system operation, repair, and maintenance
· Maintenance of golf courses and facilities
· Equipment operation and maintenance procedures
SKILLS REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
· Operation of light and heavy equipment
- Ability to schedule and supervise maintenance work to achieve the most efficient utilization of workers and equipment; prepare clear and concise reports; and maintain effective employee and public relations
- Oral and written communication
· Possess, enrolled or seeking a degree in a turfgrass management related field or applicable past experience (2 to 3 years of past golf course experience may be an applicable substitute).
· Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
· Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of North Dakota for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
· ND Pesticide Certificate designation or ability to obtain certification within 60 days.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Golf Superintendent and/or Golf Operations Manager assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include city and Park District policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of related golf course maintenance duties. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the position.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to participate and assist in the maintenance of golf courses and all associated aspects. Success in this position results in safe and well-maintained courses.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, user groups, vendors, and members of the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, provide services, and resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending, or crouching. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects and uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, irritating chemicals, and machinery with moving parts. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: This position has functional supervision over assigned seasonal personnel.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.